This historic home is an example of a Folk Pyramid style with Colonial Revival features. It was built prior to 1886 and moved to its current location at 603 Fremont Street. Emil Therkildsen, an early owner of the home, was Deputy Sheriff of Albany County and in 1908 he hid a prisoner in the cellar to avoid a lynching, then spirited him to Cheyenne in the middle of the night.
The current homeowner is his great-granddaughter, Thyra Lynn Page. The home has been in her family for more than century with numerous family members having lived there. Her mother, Marge Richardson is the granddaughter of Emil and Jensine (Thobro) Therkildsen, who purchased the home from George Hicks in 1904. Hicks was a Laramie City Councilman. The Therkildsens raised their six children in the home in the early 1900s, a time when Laramie was starting to become populated by families coming out West on the Union Pacific Railroad. In 1908, Emil died from an illness contracted while working as Sheriff and in pursuit on horseback of a criminal who ambushed and killed Sheriff Al Bath. Marge’s father Thobro, one of three sons of Emil and Jensine, also grew up in the home and when he was 10-years-old he would ride his bike to the train depot to pick up oysters, which he delivered to Edward and Jane Ivinson. Thobro later worked at the rolling mill in Laramie. Emil and Jensine’s oldest daughter Thyra graduated from UW in 1908 and was the first woman elected to the position of Albany County Clerk in 1911. In 1919, Thyra died in the home from influenza. This historic home represents a century of oral accounts of the Therkildsen family along with their various roles and engagement in the Laramie community.
This house is considered folk architecture because of its simple structure. Back in the late 1800s these homes were designed to provide shelter suitable for the surrounding terrain, with no pretense of following current styles or architecture. Such houses were built of local materials using available tools, often by people who planned to live in them. This home also includes Colonial Revival features, such as the porch, 6-foot windows and shutters and bay “garden” window. This type of architecture, based on prototypes in the English colonies in America, is usually the result of a rather free interpretation of their prototypes. The house includes clapboard siding, a partial cellar, and a raised rock foundation, the same rock from a local quarry that was used to build Old Main on the UW campus. The house also includes 10-foot ceilings and original tongue and groove Douglas Fir floors.